Sunday, February 10, 2008

360 Degree Stargazing


February 10, Islas San Benito

Until we were passed by a cruise ship at 8:30 this morning, we'd seen no other evidence of humanity, and virtually no sight of land for more than 24 hours. No planes, no boats, not even any floating debris. I feel so grateful to be reminded that there are still places on the planet were I can get some good "crazy alone time" (as Mark calls it).

Enough philosophizing, now back to the reportage. The only mammals we saw yesterday were each other, but I did get a few good pelagic bird sightings (Northern Fulmars, several species of shearwaters and Xantus's murrelets). I searched for albatross for hours, with no luck. The big excitement, though, was spotting a group of 4-6 small ocean sunfish, easing up to them and watching them jump out of the water several times before they dove. I know, I know, ocean sunfish are solitary, and I've sure never
heard of them breaching, but I have a couple of blurry photos to prove it.

The fog rolled in again at sunset, but was gone by the time I came on watch at 9 p.m. The stars were amazing for the entire night! With no light pollution, and a 360 degree view, I found stars and constellations I've rarely seen. Back on watch at 5 a.m., I watched Isla Cedros appear on the southeastern horizon at first light, with Venus, Jupiter and all of Scorpio bright above it.

We arrived and anchored at Isla San Benito Oeste at 11:30 this morning, and have been enjoying a little less motion for the past few hours. I bought a few spiny lobsters from the local fishermen for a bottle of "Two-buck Chuck", so we're looking forward to dinner at anchor, and then a full night's sleep. We can hear the California sea lions, and a few juvenile elephant seals around the corner. We're planning to leave at first light tomorrow, and be anchored in Bahia Tortuga by dinner time. Life is
good.
Saludos, Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Hi guys!

    The San Benitos, huh? I love the San Benitos! Good for you, you're almost half-way! I'm glad that you got the chance to see the sun fish jumping; not many people know that they are perfectly able to jump, even much bigger ones! I'd love to see the "blurry photos"... Take care, see you! Carlos Navarro

    ReplyDelete